When it comes to “domestic violence,” even pushing or grabbing can be sufficient to bar gun possession, the U.S. Supreme Court concluded.
They did something right
OH My GOD!! I thought there was no way for this to be real. This is so wonderful!!!!!!!!
It’s about time that the SCOTUS got something right!
I don’t think people understand what a HUGE step forward this is.
- Guns increase the probability of death in incidents of domestic violence.
- Firearms were used to kill more than two-thirds of spouse and ex-spouse homicide victims between 1990 and 2005.
- Domestic violence assaults involving a firearm are 12 times more likely to result in death than those involving other weapons or bodily force.
- Abused women are five times more likely to be killed by their abuser if the abuser owns a firearm.
- A recent survey of female domestic violence shelter residents in California found that more than one third (36.7%) reported having been threatened or harmed with a firearm.
- In nearly two thirds (64.5%) of the households that contained a firearm, the intimate partner had used the firearm against the victim, usually threatening to shoot or kill the victim.
- Laws that prohibit the purchase of a firearm by a person subject to a domestic violence restraining order are associated with a reduction in the number of intimate partner homicides.
(Source: impuretale, via howcloseis)